Sunday, October 7, 2007

"Because I did not know who I was, any image of myself, no matter how grotesque, had power over me. This much I understand now..."

"...But the man can give no help to the boy, not in this matter nor in those that follow. The boy moves always out of reach."

25 years ago I: Was born with straight black hair. Hair that, of course, fell out a week later to be replaced by straight blond hair. How I ended up with the current version is anyone's guess.

20 years ago I: Raised my hand in kindergarten when ask who the president was, proudly answering, "George Washington."

15 years ago I: Had just moved to a new city at the start of fourth grade and was The New Girl. When a "popular girl" made fun of my friend Banou's shirt, I tried to comfort her. She said, "You act like you don't care if they like you." Surprised at the thought, I replied, "I don't."

10 years ago I: Grew deeply religious and "declared" (officially concerted) myself a Baha'i. I was very lost and had found a loving family in the form of the Los Angeles Baha'i Youth Workshop and the LA Baha'i community. My affiliation with organized religion only lasted for two years but occasionally, in times of fear or emergency, I still catch myself informally praying.

7 years ago I: Lost a father. Gained a... well I'm still not yet sure.

5 years ago I: Applied to, got accepted into, and began attending Carnegie Mellon School of Drama. Realized that I could stop pretending to be an actor. Immense relief.

3 years ago I: Learned way more than anyone should ever know about termites- firsthand. Subsequently, also learned about the importance of 7am fortitude, wearing pajamas and wielding a slipper.

2 years ago I : Graduated from university, something my mother later admitted she wasn't always sure would happen. Come to think of it, several of my high school teachers seemed to doubt my ability to graduate from a university. Most especially my Algebra I teacher Mr. Eede, who would make me say, "Would you like fries with that?" when I failed tests. I'd like to dedicate my college and university honors and my giant diploma from one of the most competitive universities in the country to Mr. Eede. Supersize THAT, motherf***er.

1 year ago I: Sold my soul to the devil and joined a big fancy architectural lighting design firm. It was absolutely the right choice at the time. And that's what I'm going to say about that.

So far this year I: Have regained my soul, left New York, traveled to Prague, taught an intro sound course, moved to Hartford, rechristened myself, begun to learn to love myself, begun to learn what trust is, begun proving myself as a sound designer.

Huh. Hmmm...


And you???? If you could chose just one thing to share from each of these yearly milestones (accept for the current year), what would you choose?

3 comments:

Raising Them Jewish said...

The first one to bite. I'll start with a quick comment on the blog design, I'm a big fan.

25 years ago: I wasn't born, but in a week or so; I'll be 23.

20 years ago: I moved from the east coast to the west coast, apparently taking more than just stuff.

15 years ago: My sister and I stopped talking like sisters; I relinqueshed myself to the title of 'dork'

10 years ago: I was bat mitzvahed, actually pleased and deeply in love with Judaism.

7 years: I think I had my first kiss around now.

5 years ago: Everyone forgot my birthday, I spent it crying in my bunk bed after Pentecost

2 years ago: Also graduated- and got my first job in my industry, doing exactly what it is that I trained to do... I think.

1 year ago: I finally realized that the man of my dreams may not actually be- I guess that's still up for debate....

Today: I'm glad you're back to writing. I've always enjoyed a little glimpse into your life- as I hoped that you have enjoyed mine over the years.

I miss being with you, the lounge, studio, etc. But mostly I miss how you're brain works, and your zest for life (and beer!)

will said...

20 years ago I: drew on the living room wall with black crayon, because bill cosby was using a glue stick on tv, but i didn't have a glue stick, just a big, fat, black crayon.

15 years ago I: decided that a boy at school, who was to become one of my best friends, was, in fact, not smelly, and that it might be acceptable to hang out with him. Also I acted in my first play aside from christmas pageants. I was Tom Sawyer and was petrified that i might have to kiss the girl playing Becky (which i didn't) who i'd had a crush on the previous year.

10 years ago I: learned how to hang and focus lights and run a board (a Leprecon) and how to build scenery. I also started to actually take an interest in music partially because of spending a lot of time at my grandfathers nursing home where i would commandeer one of the television lounges and watch mtv. I think my parents always felt it was odd that i didn't have much interest in music since they were both music majors, but really i lived in fear (and still do a bit) of their opinions of the music i was listening to.

7 years ago I: regained self-confidence for probably the first time since I was 7 or 8.

5 years ago I: was in a new city with new people extremely concerned that i may have made the wrong choice. I discovered Wallpaper magazine, which I realize is probably a bit of a joke among my classmates, but which really did incite a revolution in my brain, and made me realize i didn't want to make a career of theatre.

2 years ago I: chose lighting design over scenic (why?). Aside from that this was one of the best years of my life so far.

1 year ago I: was settling into san diego, but realizing that i'd abandoned a number of the people i cared about most. i learned that theatre (especially of the corporate sort) is not creative and i went to china.

Today: i feel well rested for the first time in months.

very glad to hear from you caitlin, and glad to hear you're doing something that's exciting you. hopefully i will see you soon.

Mike said...

25 years ago: I was in Vancouver for the first time, bundled off from the coldness of Edmonton by my parents.

20 years ago: I was rocking a "rat tail" as a hairstyle, and a black bomber jacket.

15 years ago: I was getting regularly beaten up at school and hiding in the library, but I also met a guy who would become one of my closest friends for years. I auditioned for a community play, wondering what the deal was with this theatre thing.

10 years ago: I was in undergrad, commuting 1.5h by bus each way, and realising I didn't want to be an actor after all. What else could I do in theatre...?

7 years: I was getting very sick of school, but had the closest-knit community of fellow students. I lived with 5 guys, two of them my closest friends. I was also living in a high-rise residence with the most expensive view I'll probably ever have, paying $200/mo!

5 years ago: I was, with some trepidation, awaiting a Christmas visit from a girl I'd met at a fine arts camp the previous summer.

2 years ago: I was wondering what to do with my future...change it all and take a risk, or stay safe at home and not do anything really exciting?

1 year ago: I was recovering from the first major assignment of the year in my lighting class, the first plot I'd hand drafted in its entirety ever. I was wondering if I was cut out for this after all. I'm better about that now.

Today: I'm reminded of that thing you always quoted from one of your teachers, about how you realise there really are 24 hours in a day and you have to allot them appropriately. Blog commenting time: 1/2 hour. :)

Hope it's alright for me to write here. I figured lurking would be worse...